The Jacobs Crew

The Jacobs Crew

Friday, January 30, 2009

What's a mom to do?

When I thought about how I was planning to raise my kids, one of the things I KNEW I would not let them have was any kind of toy that represented something violent. This included toy knives, sword, guns (especially), or any action figure that just looked evil. Well, I quickly found that I really didn't have as much say in these things as I thought I would. Especially since I now have all BOYS.

I found that all action figures look just plain evil and that anything can be turned into a sword or a knife. (sticks, pillows, shoes, silverware, action figures)

So we caved and Tyler got a couple of Light Sabers for his B-day.


They think they're so TOUGH! (notice the Harry Potter wand?- just in case)


But I was definately NOT going to go as far as to buy my boys toy guns.

No way!



And now I REALLY don't need to. Pretty brilliant Tracen!

9 comments:

Jessie said...

That's funny. I'm also against violent toys, and I'm proud to say my mild-mannered oldest son hasn't introduced the idea to our house for all of his almost 4 years! We are still weapon free and I love it. On the other hand, Milo is of a different mold - so we'll see what he comes up with in the next year or so.

You're too funny.

I voted for short, flirty, sexy, but I was 50/50 because I love your long waves too. Sorry to be of no help there.

Mariel said...

Darn. You would not want your boys to play with my boys!

I'm pretty impressed with Tracen's creativity!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am impressed!! Living in a house full of boys you have stood your ground and not caved into the "world of violence". I believe one of the first words my boys learn is the joyful shound of a shooting gun! Not to mention the many nights I have found "guns" tucked tightly under their arms. Boys are creative, even things you would never think could be made into a weapon can- watch out for the hangers... They make great bow and arrows! :)

As for the hair- I am in the same delima... Change is good!!

aLeXis said...

Oh, I feel that I must apologize. I too had every intention of keeping the guns/swords/etc to someone else's home. But since his daddy/grandpas/uncles are all avid hunters Brogan has had the guns for a while now. I apologize for playdate the other day because all of the boys were playing with guns or water guns at my house (I am sure that did not help your cause much). Anyway so sorry. I forget that not everyone has guns. Although I am sure Brogan would have come up with something similar. Pretty clever Tracen! Sorry Again!

kelli said...

BOYS! Dang, girl I hope the next one is a Girl. I am the same way. I won't buy that kind of stuff for Ethan. He makes up is own though, but because he has an older sister he sometimes has to make them out of headbands and dolls.

Amy said...

Ok, it's probably because they hang out with my boys.... and my boys have no hope because of their dad! Sorry! I'm sure we've been negative influences in other ways too! But... boys will be boys! What do you do?
I like your hair short and sexy!!!

Unknown said...

I am laughing about those straws, pretty creative boys! That's awesome!

Frayer Family said...

Tracen is alot like Alex...she started reading at 3. Her teachers never knew what to do with her...because she was so smart!(my proud moment) In first grade Alex was reading Harry Potter books. When I saw the guns your son made out of straws...it made me think of the time that Alex made herself a "paper sister". She took paper and tape and created herself a "paper sister" since she did not have one. I wish I would have kept it! love your stories! I posted new stuff..check it out!
Jaimee