I mentioned a small portion of this conversation with Tracen on Facebook the other day but thought I would get the whole story written for the records.
We've been reading the Book of Mormon together lately. I love it that he is interested in it right now. So as a plan to help me get reading it again, I asked him if would read one chapter each night with me. It has been great!
Well, the other night he asked if we could also read another "church book" we have called "Beyond Bethlehem" by David Bowman
Such a great author that helps bring the stories in the Book of Mormon to the child level and brings them a bit more to the present. Awesome illustrations too.
Well in this book it starts telling the story of Christ's birth beginning with the story of Samuel the prophet preaching to the Nephites. Tracen is fascinated with the part about the arrows not being able to hit him when he was preaching on the wall.
It mentions how Samuel told the people to watch for certain signs that would tell them of Christ's birth. Then it goes into the birth of Christ and then touches on how He will come again.
The book then asks, "How can you get ready for that wonderful day?"
It answers by telling us to BE BAPTIZED, FOLLOW THE PROPHETS, READ THE SCRIPTURES, SAY OUR PRAYERS, OBEY THE COMMANDMENTS, and to
LOOK FOR THE SIGNS.
It says that some of the signs are that the CHURCH GROWTH WILL EXPAND,
(we talked about being a missionary)
and that THERE WILL BE WARS.
This stirred some pretty intense emotions from my tender hearted young man.
He then asked, "Mom, will I ever HAVE to be a soldier and go to war?"
Me, knowing I had to be honest, "Well, Trace, Maybe."
(Trying to hide my tears, as this is a matter that is very tender to my own heart)
Tracen with tears welling in his own eyes, "Oh. Ok."
Pause. "But mom, I'd rather be a missionary."
I tried to explain that he will probably have a choice when that time comes and that he could probably do both if he wanted.
(No longer able to hold back my tears)
Tracen: "Who MAKES you be a soldier?"
Me: "Right now no one MAKES you be a soldier. You can volunteer to be one."
Tracen: "Why would you do that? They might die."
Me, trying to think this complex question through:
"Men and Women that feel they want to help protect our country and their families CHOOSE to be soldiers."
Tracen: "Soldiers are so brave."
Me: "Yes, they are."
I must confess, that I truly hope my boys do NOT have to make this decision,
that they will even have a choice.
I pray for PEACE. Yet, I know what the signs are.
And if they CHOOSE to be one of the BRAVE...
May the Lord give me strength.
I am so grateful to the men and women and their families for the GREAT sacrifices they make to help keep our country safe.
Thank You.
Psst... For another great Tracen conversation scroll through towards the end of the previous post.
2 comments:
Tracen is a great kid, and if the time ever comes that he has to fight in a war (we all hope not), he will definitely be one of the BRAVE. Remember, Trace: having courage doesn't mean you're not afraid -- it just means you do the right thing anyway.
What great deep thoughts from that amazing boy of yours. You guys must be doing something right Dee!
Post a Comment