The Jacobs Crew

The Jacobs Crew

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Its my Birthday- Have a Party!


Yes, it is true. Today is my birthday and I am admitting it! I do this because in my "old age" I tend to feel the need to "discuss" things a bit. I am officially as of 15 minutes ago (6:30am), 31 years old ! I thought I'd add a few pictures of my youth. Probably to make me feel better. Sorry about the raw scanned picture. I didn't want to take the time to edit it. Lazy I guess. Another sign of old age? I want to talk about "age categories". My hardest B-day was when I turned 25. I'm not sure exactly why, but to me that B-day felt like the one where I was leaving my youth behind and I was entering into the "I am SUPPOSED to be all grown up" category. Then I turned 30. Surprisingly enough that was good B-day. I was not affected by that at all. But today, turning 31, I don't know, it feels kind of "weird". It is somehow so "official" or something. Like I am now really "in". I am no longer teetering between eras or something. I remember in my teen years thinking that those IN their "30's" were supposed to be an experienced mom of several kids, driving carpool in their minivan, not quite fitting into the "young mom" group at playgroup (because I have more than 2 kids and my oldest is actually in school), and I can no longer figure out what the "in" style of clothing is and frankly don't care. Well, I am all of that. But what I do realize is that I am very happy with where I am in life. I love being a "carpooling minivan mom" that has had a bit more "experience" with my kids and doesn't really have to care whether or not she "fits in" or is wearing the latest style of clothes. I think it is hilarious that I could pull out some of the clothes I wore in junior high and high school and they would totally be "in style". (think 80's stretch pants and long shirts with belts and HUGE earings!) I now know and understand why my parents style of clothing got "stuck" in a certain era. I have come to realize that as CRAZY as this stage of my life is right now, I REALLY LOVE IT! I am so blessed to have had GREAT PARENTS who taught me so well and LOVED ME so much. ( Of course as my parents told me many times, you don't fully realize that until you become a parent yourself.) Thank you. Oh and thank you to my mom for the 2 days of intense labor, with NO DRUGS, only to have me come out showing my best side first (I was breech- butt first- See I have been confused from the beginning) and to have my dad make the comment, after all of me was finally out, "Oh she does have hair!" Sorry mom, that had to have hurt. Thanks mom and dad for all your hard work and for loving me inspite of all my "shananagans".
So I guess the point of this little post is to say, LIFE IS GOOD! No matter what "age category" we enter into we are still the same "youngster" (is that the word I am looking for?) inside just with a little more "experience" and hopefully a little more confidence with who we are (especially as those "happy lines" begin to appear). Thank you to all my wonderful FAMILY and FRIENDS. I have an amazing husband whom I love dearly and who I know loves me immensely and for my 3 CRAZY BOYS who keep me moving. I am so lucky in this life and I totally look forward to experiencing my next 30 years and the next 30 and the next 30 and... OK wait... actually I think I will just take this life one day at a time. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! HOORAY!

7 comments:

Jessie said...

Deanne, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! 31 was a little weird for me too. I feel like I'm now "thirty something" - though I like some of the freedoms that come with that. You just don't have to care about certain things anymore, and you more enjoy your own little life. I think you look fabulous, by the way, and you're a great wife and mom. I hope it's a lovely day for you!

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday, Deanne! I have the big 3 0 coming up this year. Man, we're all getting old, aren't we??? Hehehe! You are right, though ... ain't nothing wrong with that!

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday, Dee! You are beautiful and a terrific mom! 31 has treated you nicely.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday, Deanne!

kelli said...

Happy Birthday! 30's is still young. And be glad you can still go to the play groups because you do have a baby. When Ethan starts pre-school next year, I won't even have a kid to bring to those! I guess a could show up kidless. Anyway, I think 31 is still very young! NOw when ya reach 41 we will talk!!!

Jessie said...

Oh my goodness. Those pictures are so adorable!

Mariel said...

Happy belated birthday! You look amazing and still have a smile on your face with 3 kids! That's awesome! ...Tate has some GREAT hair, by the way...