So... On Saturday about 2:00pm we arrived at the Jordan World Circus who was performing in Ogden at the Golden Spike Arena. We went with our good friends Amy and Aaron Hancock and Kids. We had been talking about going all week. Amy had recieved a coupon in the mail that said, "your whole family can see the amazing circus for only $16.00!" So, we thought, "Wow that is a terrific price. Let's go!" So I began to search through all of our mail and even go through the garbage to try to find this beloved coupon. I had no luck in finding it, so Amy said that her coupon said you could get this same coupon at any Walgreens. So, I packed up the kids and headed to our nearest Walgreens store. We walked through the doors and Tyler announced to the whole store, "We are going to the circus. Can you give us our tickets now?" The lady at the counter completely broke Tyler's little heart when she said they did not have the coupons and had not even heard of them. So, I called the Golden Spike Arena. The lady who answered couldn't tell me a whole lot more other than we might find these coupons at a Stop-n-Shop or we could arrive at the arena 3 hours early to get tickets but that they would be full price. It was the day of and I had still had no luck in locating a coupon. I started calling all the Walreen and Stop-n-Shop stores in the phone book only to find that they had each given away their last coupons the night before. So I called Amy to tell her of our bad luck. She said that she had just been talking to a neighbor who had seen some coupons for this very circus at the 7-Eleven up the street just last night. So I called and they had 10 left. So... we were good to go. So back to when we arrived 1 hour before the circus was to begin. We get there only to realize that our coupons were only for the kids to get in free but adults would have to pay full price at $16 each. Good thing we had the coupons however, because the kids would have been $10 each. So we begrudgingly paid our $30 and headed in. When we get inside, the kids are instantly so excited because there are pony rides, elephant rides, big blow up slides, and face painting. What more could a kid want? We get down into the arena only to find out you have to purchase more tickets to do these things. So we head to the ticket booth and are told that the tickets are $6 each. "OK we'll take 2." The lady then asks which ride we want it for. "What?" "It is $6 per ride." "$6 to ride 1 pony, or 1 elephant? How many time do they get to go down the blow up slide?" "They can go down 4 times." "Are you kidding?" How do you explain to your kids why every other kid there is having fun and his parents are too "cheap"? So we took our crying kids to their seats and told them the show would start in just a few minutes and that it would be awsome. So the show began, and it was definately entertaining and the kids really did seem to enjoy it, that is until they saw that every other kid was waving a glow in the dark Light Saver sword. So we say, "OK, we will check it out at half time. At half time, I leave to feed Tate and Dan takes the boys to check things out. I come back just before the show is to begin again to find that the boys did not have any coveted Light Savers but were happily sitting in their seats excited to see more elephant tricks. I looked at Dan, who looked at Tracen who said, "The Light Savers were $10 so we got this yummy bubble gum and Daddy said we would get some cotton candy when the show starts again." I still do not know what magical spell Dan put on our children, but I guess it proves that kids really can be happy with the simplest of things. The rest of the show really was entertaining for the kids. I however, came home from it with a terrible cold, fever, and a massive headache from the sinus pressure and loud music. My loving husband put me right to bed and even called substitutes for both of my resposibilities at church the next day. Yeah I was pretty pathetic. So now we all have very yucky coughs, stuffy noses, and sore throats. Our house is quarantined until further notice.
***So the moral of this story is: Do not be as uneducated about the circus as we were. IF you decide that the circus would be a life changing event for your children, DO NOT leave home without several hundred dollars in your pocket. Or.. at least ask Dan which magic spell book he used and the type of feather he has in his wand.
P.S. We also forgot our camera,(in true Dan Dee fashion) so there are no pictures of our kids doing... Oh wait, they didn't do anything to take pictures of. So...never mind.
9 comments:
I love that the whole circus thing was my idea..... sorry!!! But just think, what good memories! :) Thanks for coming... especially since you didn't even feel good! You're a trooper!
You do such a great job telling your stories, I felt like I was right there. That cracks me up. Can you believe that places charge crazy prices for anything and everything they can get away with. It sometimes does just take away the fun of going places like that, unless you do have a million dollars to blow on tickets and tokens...
You always have the best stories to tell! It's too bad that money has to stand in the way of so many things. Good thing your kids are content with bubble gum!
Clowns are creepy.
Hey guys I love your story!! It sounds like a Frayer event....right along with searching for the tickets. I can't tell you how many times I have been through the trash can!! However I think you sound like great parents because you went through great leaps to try and find tickets!! Remember your camera next time :) Love you guys tons!
Hi dee and dan. So funny. Your crack me up. First I love that you tell a story like me with all the details and long as ever. I love to hear that I am not the only cheap parent and that I am not the only trash digger. haha. We went to Disney on Ice with my daughter and me and my neighbor and her daughter. The Tickets were 20 and then the little wands that sang an airel song were 20. That sucked same price. love you Tami
Hey,
That reminded me of when we took the boys to see Nemo on Ice and the dumb fish hats were 20 bucks a pop. What gives? Kaeleb liked the flashing crown at the burger joint better than the actual show anyway!!
Doesn't it seem like everything is like that these days? We always think we will be fun parents and take our kids to the carnival in the summer. Well, we always seem to mentally block out the fact that they usually only get to ride two rides for a whopping $15. It's terrible! But hey!! At least you made the effort and I bet the kids will remember the good stuff forever!
Sounds fun! When you guys are well we will have to hang out.
Post a Comment