The Jacobs Crew

The Jacobs Crew

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bicycle Poetry in Motion

March 16, 2014

This is the time of year when soccer takes over our lives.  Between 3 boys in soccer, their practices, and their games, every day of the week is now blessed with soccer something or other.  Not that soccer doesn't encroach on our lives anyway.  Tracen all but has a ball sewed to his foot at all times.  I have semi-seriously threatened to pop all soccer balls in the house as they always seem to be underfoot.
              
Tracen's team scrimmaged against an older girls squad on Tuesday.  They may have won the game and Tracen may have had an amazing bicycle kick for a goal during that match, but the girls punished them physically for it.  A couple of the slide tackles against the boys were down right mean, one in particular where Tracen seemed to skid on his forehead for a few meters.  Tracen said the pain was worth it just so he could fulfill his long-time wish of scoring the goal from a bicycle kick.  That goal was particularly cool-looking.  I had a proud dad moment when all of the other parents were saying "Did you just see that?"  "That was the coolest goal I have ever seen!" and the like.

Tyler and Tate have also started their soccer campaigns and they are both excited for their games this week.  Tate in particular is excited as he has noticed that he is the biggest kid on his team, which to him will obviously translate into pitch domination.  I have tried to advise him not to count his goals before they are in the net, but he will not be swayed.  This is Tate after all.

Tracen memorized his Lewis Carrol poem  and was the first person to pass it off in his class.  I was impressed with his ability to not only memorize, but put some real infection into his voice when he recited it.  I think that he really enjoyed how silly and random the poem is, not to mention the cadence and meter of it.

Tate had his first brush with the principal the other day.  It turns out that he and another boy got into an argument over whether the road (as in the pavement) is clean or not.  Even though Tate was on the right side of the argument, he was in the wrong to press the issue to the point of yelling.  There was nothing physical about the encounter, but I guess, according to my other boys, there is a no-nonsense ground duty who marched their obstinant quarreling behinds straight to the principal's office.  There was nothing really more that came of it other than Dee and I talking to Tate about arguing and that he needed to find a better subject to argue if he was willing to go to the principal's office over it.

Deanne and I went out with several other couples in our ward this Friday.  We went downtown to an Italian restraunt by the name of Bucca Di Beppos.  We were situated in the "Pope's" room.  The theme was very Papal including a huge bust of Pope John Paul with his hands clasped in a papal blessing over our food right in the middle of the table.  It was a fun night in spite of the creepy Pope staring me down as I slurped up my spaghetti.

Dee has spent the last couple of Saturday's participating in Girl's night out activities.  Last night's event must have been particularly epic as she crawled into bed at 2:30 this morning.  I might be a bit concerned, but she was with other ladies in her Relief Society presidency.  

We hope that Adam had a nice baptism.  We wish we could have been there, but we are grateful that Dad sent pictures of the event.  Happy St Patrick's Day everyone.  We are certain that "Lester"  (our Leprechaun) will pull off some annoying stunt again this year.


Dan and Dee

No comments: